Monday 11 April 2011

Lakemba Mosque Open Day


The Lebanese Muslim Association opened Lakemba Mosque to the public as part of Australian Dawah Week. Although I have been in mosques before, this was the first Australian mosque I have been inside. It is also the first time I have not worn a headscarf inside a mosque. Visitors of both sexes and all religions were allowed to watch the men's prayers in the main prayer hall as well as questioning the Imam, taking a guided tour of the mosque and enjoying a free lunch.


4 comments:

Dina said...

What a good opportunity.
Wish I could have gone with you.

Jim said...

It's really beautiful inside.

Julie said...

Yes, I am with Dina: I wish I could have gone with you. This is such a valuable opportunity for the non-muslim to remove some of the negative stereotypes. How did you hear about the mosque being opened: local ?

DId the opening get coverage in the SMH?

Ann said...

Didn't see anything in SMH. I heard about it on Simon Marnie's weekend program on 702 ABC. He broadcast his Saturday morning program from the mosque. Don't know how long they have been doing it but they had an open day last year which I knew nothing about. Didn't hear anything locally but its outside my area. Its also a Sunni mosque - Arncliffe is Shia.