Tuesday 3 January 2012

Taphophile Tragics


This is the grave of Pixie Rourke, who died last year. It lies in the small Pinetrees family cemetery.  Kerry McFadyen and Pixie Rourke together with their husbands, Bruce and Ed, took over Pinetrees in 1976. Kerry and Bruce, Pixie and Ed (always known to their staff as "the big 4") worked hard to modernise Pinetrees. They built new units, including five free-standing Garden Cottages, extended the main house and re-built the Pinetrees boatshed, which had been destroyed in a fire. All of the new buildings were designed by Bruce, an architect. Under their leadership, Pinetrees employed professional chefs and established a reputation for fine food and genuine hospitality. Pixie Rourke served as the Chair of the Lord Howe Island Tourism Association for 11 years. She resigned from her position only a month before her death in 2010. In September 2010 after Pixie's death, Qantas named one of its Dash-8 aircraft "Pixie Rourke". Pixie also received a posthumous award from Tourism New South Wales for Outstanding Contribution to Regional Tourism.

Below are some other views of the Pinetrees cemetery.





For more taphophilia please visit Julie's Taphophile Tragics.

12 comments:

Peter said...

That heart shaped rock is a touching marker.

hamilton said...

Not being familiar with Lord Howe Island of Pixie Rourke, I did a google search and found a blog written by Pixie's daughter. She sounds a fascinating woman.

Jim said...

Interesting heart shaped stone.

Dianne said...

A wonderful tranquil feel to this place with it's semi tropical surrounds.
I hope you have a great day out Ann mozzying around with your camera - hope it's not too hot!

Mark said...

That is an amazing cemetery amongst the palms and sand.

Annie Jeffries said...

The humbleness of her grave is a fitting tribute, I think, to someone who obviously did much to provide for the pleasures of others.

Joan Elizabeth said...

The simplicity is heartbreaking.

Julie said...

Hah! I have shots from this cemetery ... somewhere! I love it. It is such a treasure trove of island history, much of which you have relayed. I did not recall that her memorial was so incredibly simple. Very touching.

I will go find my LHI cemetery images and put them in my Cemetery Folder. Must do the same for my trip through the Kimberleys. Headstones to the right of me, headstones to the left of me.

Thank you for your contribution. I love the way we are developing here, with such an immense variety of cemeteries and approaches to the telling of stories. I value your support, Ann.

Rae Walter said...

Beautifully captured Ann and such an interesting story. I amy become a Taphophile Tragic yet!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love the first image Ann and the history behind it, it is a simple memorial but she is obviously remembered and honoured many other lasting ways. Really interesting post.

biebkriebels said...

Thanks for sharing this story. It is always nice the read some background information. I like the palmtrees in the cemeterie.

tapirgal said...

Quite a story and a pretty resting place. Quaint, small, artistic looking. So personal.